Thursday, July 17, 2014

Frozen: Disney's Most Overrated Film

I promised you guys, and here it is.  My feelings on the Internet's reaction to Disney's 2013 film, Frozen.  This will primarily be a rebuttal to some of the more popular claims to Frozen's "brilliance."

Now, don't misunderstand me.  I love this movie.  I really love it.  The music and visuals are beautiful, the characters are great, the humor is well-done for the most part, and the plot, while not the most original, still pulls out some neat twists.  But, if you read my last post, you know this.

However, I believe that nothing made by humans is perfect.  Everything has some flaws, and this movie is no exception.  That said, I also covered that in the last post, so I won't repeat them here.  Today, I'll be going over why Frozen is a good Disney movie and not Disney's secret, counter-cultural masterpiece.

...

...

The reason I'm not writing is because I read this.  This is a REALLY well written rebuttal to a lot of the arguments I was looking at talking about here.  I don't agree with all of her points, but I don't really want to write a rebuttal to her post.  Read it and pretend she likes Frozen and you'll basically have what I was going to talk about.  She goes into a lot of details about why Frozen isn't actually feminist by using some good ideas and concepts from feminist theory and it's just really good and smart.

If I do have one major criticism, it's that it is far too negative.  I understand that she doesn't like the movie, but it feels like the writer is doing this more out of spite than anything else.  Regardless, she does raise good points.

I'm only really writing this because I promised you guys I would write something on how I feel about the responses to Frozen.  When I came across this in my research, I felt awful.  I knew I'd just link to the article and feel like a cop out.  I'm sorry, but I don't have much to add to the conversation.

Hopefully, you still found it enlightening.  Sorry, guys.  I'll have a not cop-out post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment