Thursday, June 26, 2014

Beryl Dreams: Part 9

AN: Holy crap, how did I never post this one?  This is like really important.  Whoops.

Part 9: Stone Cold

"Great work, Tiffany!"  I said as the last Geodude fell to the ground, unconscious.  The young Trainer recalled the small rocky creature and handed over a small stack of cash.

"Congratulations." he said.  "Now you're ready to fight Daimyo Roxanne."

"Great, where is she?"

"Right this way."

A secret door behind him opened.  We walked through the small corridor to a dark room.

Suddenly, the lights all went on.  In front of me, was a giant battlefield littered with jagged boulders.  A lot of Hikers and Trainers with rock-types were in the stands, cheering Roxanne's name.

On the other side of the battlefield, Roxanne stood on a raised platform.  Her brown hair was tied back into with a pink ribbon and she wore a long, blue and pink kimono.

"Welcome, challenger, to the Rustboro Gym!"  she said.  "I am Daimyo Roxanne.  Here, we are one with the Pokemon of the mountains, the Rock-type."

"It is an honor to challenge you, Daimyo."  I said, bowing to her.  "But we will not lose."

"Well, let's see about that."

I walked up to my platform.  The referee walked onto the field and started the match.

"In the red corner, the Daimyo of Rustboro, the queen of the Rock-type, the master of the mountains, Roxanne!"

The crowd screamed for her.

"And in this corner, from Littleroot Town, the newcomer to the Trainer scene, please welcome, Challenger Matt!"

Everyone applauded and some even called my name, wishing me good luck.  I waved to them and smiled, blushing a little.

"Begin!"

"Go, Geo!"

"Tiffany, let's go!"

The two combatants stared each other down.  The crowd roared in anticipation of the coming fight.

"Tiffany, Water Gun!"

Tiffany spat water at the small rock, knocking it out.

"Geode, your turn!"  Roxanne said as she sent out her second Pokemon.  Tiffany Water Gun'd it down before it could attack again.

"You're doing well, but how will you handle this?  Go Nozu!"  she said, sending out a small rocky nose Pokemon.

"Alright, you know what to do, Tiffany."

"Right!"  she said, before Water Gunning the Nosepass.

Sadly, it was still standing after the drench, though it was a little unsteady.  It then jumped into the air before slamming down again, launching rocks into the air.  They crashed into Tiffany and pinned her wings.

"Tiffany!"  I screamed.

"I'm okay!"  she called back before launching another Water Gun.  The rocks fell away from her as the Nosepass was pushed back.  Tiffany flew around, trying to avoid attacks and shoot another Water Gun.  Once the Nosepass got its footing, it shot another Rock Tomb and pinned her to the ground.

"Tiffany, Water Gun!  You almost have him!"

"Nozu, Rock Throw!"

Somehow, the Nosepass moved first.  Rocks erupted from the ground as the Pokemon glowed a dull tan.  They hovered over Tiffany, her eyes filled with fear.

I watched helpless as the rocks fell and crushed her.

"Tiffany!"  I screamed.  My vision grew blurry as tears filled my eyes.

"Oh, Arceus."  Roxanne said.  "You have Nuzlocke, don't you?"

I nodded wordlessly, fumbling for the right ball.

"We don't have to end this."  Roxanne tried.

"No."  I said.  "We have to.  Heather, use Absorb!"

Heather flew out into the field and Absorbed the last remaining energy from Nozu.  It fell to the ground, knocked out cold.

The crowd cheered for my Pyrrhic victory.  I ran out onto the field and began frantically scraping the rocks to find Tiffany.

I cringed when I saw her.  Her wings looked broken, her body slightly flattened.  A trail of blood flowed from her beak.

"No."  I whispered.

"Matt?"  she weakly asked.

"I'm right here."  I said, trying to hold back sobs.

"Did we win?"

I smiled through the pain.  "Yeah. We did."

"Did I do good?"

I sniffed.  "You did better than I ever would have imagined."

Tiffany started breathing heavily.  "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"Can you sing to me?"

I blinked back tears and held her mangled body to my chest.

Just close your eyes,

The sun is going down.

You'll be alright,

No one can hurt you now.

Come morning light,

You and I'll be safe and sound.

R.I.P. Tiffany
Lv. 4- Lv. 13

Pokémon: 5 Badges: 1 Deaths: 1 Current Location: Rustboro City

Eulogy:  We have our first death.  This does not bode well for us.  Poor Tiffany.  Managed to take on the entire Gym up to that goddamn Nosepass.  I thought she could still outspeed him after two Rock Tombs, but apparently not.  R.I.P. Tiffany.

No comments:

Post a Comment