Saturday, February 8, 2014

El Amor es de Oro: Day 3

February 8, 2014

I woke up at a little after 8 the next morning.  Max was still snoring in the bed next to me.  I got dressed, sprayed on some deodorant, and went down to the cafe.

I didn't see her when I walked down, so I sat down at one of the tables near the edge of the cafe.  Teammates from every nation were eating breakfast, laughing loudly at jokes and conversing about...something.  I couldn't understand them even when talking slowly.

"Ryan?"  I heard an accented voice say.  I looked up and saw Magdalena standing there.

"Magdalena, it's good to see you."  I said, standing and shaking her hand.  We sat down and started to talk.

"How did you sleep?"  she asked.

"Well enough."  I said.  "Not like back home, but it was good."

"Same here."  she said.

"Would you like anything?"  I asked, standing.

"Just some coffee, please."

"Got it."

I walked over to the large tank of coffee and poured two cups.  I grabbed a few sugar packets and cream cups and walked back, setting one of the cups in front of her.  I poured two sugar packets in my cup and swirled it.  She just started drinking hers.

"Your Spanish is very good."  she said.  "Where did you learn?"

"I learned it in school, actually.  We had to take a foreign language to graduate, so I chose Spanish.  But last summer, I spent some time working in Buenos Aires."

"It's a beautiful city."  she said.  "Have you ever been to Mendoza?"

"No, I haven't.  Is that where you're from?"

"I'm from Palmira.  It's a small town outside of Mendoza.  It's a lovely little town."

"Well, I'll have to visit next time I'm there."

We sat quiet for a while, sipping our coffee.  The flat screens played some skiing footage a couple Nordic guys were deeply interested in.

"How long have you been curling?"  she asked.

I swallowed and put my cup down.  "I actually started after the last Games.  My friend was kind of obsessed with it, so we found a trainer and started getting to work.  How about you?"

"I started skiing when I was a little girl.  I always loved it, and when I was fifteen, I started training in the biathlon."

"Is this your first Games?"

"No, I went to the Games last year.  You probably wouldn't have seen me.  Argentina doesn't do too well at the Games."

"Well, with you on their team, I think Argentina might get a medal this year."

She chuckled a little and blushed.  "Thank you."

"Magdalena!"  one of her teammates called as she ran up to her.  "Nuestra entrenador quiere hablar sobre el evento."

"Bueno, estoy yendo." she said, standing up.  "I have to go.  It was good to see you Ryan."

"Same here, Magdalena."  I said.

"Please, call me Lena."  she said before leaving with her friend.

I threw the cups away and walked back to the room.  Max was still snoring away.

No comments:

Post a Comment