Thursday, February 20, 2014

El Amor es de Oro: Day 8

February 20, 2014

Lena and I walked into the atrium together.  It had been a couple of days since we last hung out together.  I'd been too focused on curling to give her a thought.  But, Max had changed my mind.

"Dude, you have to go out with her."  he said three nights ago when we got back to the room.

"Lena?"

"Yeah, man.  She totally digs you."

"But we have-"

"A game that we're going to lose tomorrow?  Dude, have some fun.  The games are over soon anyway.  You gotta get some digits."

"Alright." I said before turning out the lights.

Now, we were walking together, talking in the main hallway.  The sun was just setting over the Black Sea, turning the sky and water a beautiful orange.  People were hanging out, but it felt less busy than before.  It was as if everyone had taken this moment to watch the sunset and enjoy their time here.

"I'm sorry you guys aren't in the finals."  she said.

"We never really thought we'd get there.  It's fine."

She grabbed my hand gently as we walked.  "It's so beautiful out here tonight."

"Not as beautiful as you."

Even in the orange light, her dark skin blushed.  I'm sure mine did too.  God, that was stupid.  Who was I, Max?

"Thank you."  she said.

Well, it worked.  Thank God.

"You want something to eat?"  I asked.

"Sure."  she said.  We walked over to a small cafe, got two plates of pierogis, and sat down in front of a window.

"This has been the best time of my life."  I said.

"Same here." she said.

"What's been your favorite part?"  I asked.

She looked at me, her dark eyes bright in the low light.  "You."

I scooted over to her and put my arm around her.  She leaned in close to me and put her feet up on a third chair.  We sat there, watching the sun sink lower and lower until it disappeared below the Black Sea.

"I can't remember the last time I saw a sunset."  I said.

"Me neither."

We untangled ourselves and threw away our food.  Then, I walked her back to her room.

"Buenas noches."  I said.

"Buenas noches, mi carino."  she said.  She leaned in and gave me a kiss on the cheek, then closed the door.

I walked in a daze back to the room.  Max and Matt were talking.  I walked in and flopped on the bed.

"So, the date went well?"  Max asked, smiling.

I smiled back.  "You could say that."

No comments:

Post a Comment